Sunday, December 6, 2009

Jonas Burgert

I first saw Jonas Burgert at the MCA in Denver then again at the Victoria H. Myhren Gallery, and then again at the DAM. They actually kicked me out of the Victoria H. Myhren after I'd been there for 2 hours. The thing about Burgert's work is that it is overwhelming. The sheer size of some of these canvases is legendary, not to mention the subject matter is infinite and personal so that one painting can absorb the better half of a day, over and over again.  Another absorbing aspect of Burgert's work is the palatte of neutrals and neon, vibrancy and space, it's seductive and feels ethereal to me. He uses personal iconography that is recurrent in many works. Pots of color could represent a physical change that is metaphorical, and remind me of the Indian holiday Holi, and yes that is a shaman with the feathers, he shows up a lot in different fascets, as do ivy, games, and people of different sizes. All are important to the meaning, which is personal to him and therefore private and left to the viewer to relate to on their own level. A blog is no place to view this work as they are monumental and the net does no justice, see it in person. Gritty dirty street scenes depict a sense of spirituality that is not iconic, but earthy, real, and human just the way I like it. I'm saving up my barista tips to hopefully buy one one day....
http://jonasburgert.net/
"Hitting every head" 380x 495 cm, oil on canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment